Nanaimo-Ladysmith School District
• Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
• Beautiful seaside city on Vancouver Island
• Population 85,000
• Safe and clean community
• Mildest climate in Canada
• Easy access to Vancouver and Victoria
• Closest airport is Nanaimo Airport
• High school program, Grades K to 12. Ages 6-19
• 6 modern high schools; total population of 13,700 Canadian students
• Every school has an International Student Advisor to tend to academic issues of International Students
• ELL offered as required; no minimum English requirements
• Integration with Canadian students in academic and elective subjects
• Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Germany, Italy, Turkey, Mexico, South Korea,
Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, Austria all represented
• 2 semesters per year: September to January; February to June
• Graduates are guaranteed admission to Vancouver Island University in Nanaimo or are qualified to apply at other universities in Canada and the USA
• In-house homestay program carefully matches students to excellent homestay families - their happiness and well-being are carefully monitored. Homestay Coordinators meet each week with the students to discuss any homestay issues.
Excursions include trips to Victoria, Seattle, Whistler, Long Beach, Vancouver and the Rocky Mountains.
Program Established: 1998
Programs Offered: Full Year, 1 Semester
Educational Programs offered in: English, French
Total number of schools: 36
High schools for international students: 5
Total Students: 13,700
Total International Students: 300
International Students Accepted for Grades: Our high school program is grades 8-12, public school system. Our elementary program is from grade k-7 but a parent must accompany the child.
Nearest Airport Nanaimo Airport YCD
Nanaimo is located in the center of Vancouver Island and is the therefore known as the gateway of Vancouver Island. Nanaimo has easy access to Vancouver, Victoria, Pacific Rim National Park, the West coast trail, as well as many other attractions and cities up and down the island.
Nanaimo has a world of adventures awaiting newcomers. There are musical and live theatre shows, symphonies, restaurants, sporting events, as well as many activities around holidays, such as Halloween, Christmas, Canada Day. Any time of year, Nanaimo is a wonderfully exciting place to be. Whether you like hiking, diving, kayaking, sailing, swimming, soccer, hockey, golfing, camping or wide life watching, Nanaimo has it all.
The Homestay Program is a service offered to foreign students through the International Student Education Department of School District #68 (Nanaimo-Ladysmith). In the Homestay Program, Nanaimo and Ladysmith families provide caring homes, including room and board, and emotional and academic support for off-shore students. The homestay family takes the place of the student’s family for a time. It also plays an important role in the improvement of the student’s English and understanding of Canadian culture.
ACTIVITIES CALENDAR-- SECONDARY STUDENTS
We would like to invite our International Students to enjoy the following activities with us this year:
Welcome Event—A great start to the school year, and the opportunity to meet the ISE students from other schools.
Whale Watching– Take a bus, then hop on a boat! Enjoy supernatural British Columbia and see West Coast marine wildlife at its best! Two dates will be available to choose from.
Old English Victoria—Enjoy highlights of Victoria’s inner harbour with a trip to the IMAX Theatre and an opportunity to sample Victoria’s attractions.
Capilano Suspension Bridge and Park
Cosmic Bowling – first semester wrap-up—This is our party to say farewell to the first semester.
Learn to Skate and Play Ice Hockey —See what our National passion is all about.
Vancouver Day Trip – Semester 2 Wrap-up – Travel by BC Ferries to explore Stanley Park, recognized around the globe as one of the great parks of the world.
Kayaking—An introduction to a sport you can continue to enjoy all spring!
Rocky Mountain Tour
School Based Year-End Activities
Entrance Dates: - September 5th, 2016 and January 30, 2017
Application Deadlines: December 15 & June 30
Application Fee: $500
Full Year Tuition Fee: $12,000 Secondary - $13,000 Elementary
1 Semester Tuition Fee: $6,050
Annual Homestay Placement Fee: (included in application fee)
Homestay Monthly Fee: $800 for secondary; $850 for elementary
Annual Health Insurance Fee: $900; $450 one semester
Annual Custodianship Fee: 0
All funds are in Canadian dollars